- 4 3/4 cups (or more) milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
- 2/3 cup medium- or short-grain white rice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large egg yolks
- Combine 4 cups milk, rice, sugar, butter, cinnamon stick and salt in heavy large saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat until rice is tender and mixture is creamy, stirring frequently, about 1 hour. Remove from heat. Discard cinnamon stick. Stir in raisins and vanilla.
- Pour 3/4 cup milk into heavy small saucepan. Bring to simmer. Whisk egg yolks in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk hot milk into beaten yolks. Return mixture to same saucepan. Stir over medium heat until thermometer registers 160 °F, about 2 minutes (do not boil). Stir egg mixture into rice mixture.
- Transfer rice pudding to large nonmetal bowl. Cover and chill until cold, about 30 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.)
- Thin rice pudding with more milk, if desired. Spoon into bowls and serve.