What is detoxification?
Detoxification is what the body does to balance the internal system by getting rid of toxins. It is done by getting rid of unwanted wastes from the body, while supporting and nourishing it with necessary nutrients that it requires to function. As a society, we are overly concerned about the outward appearance and the external cleanness. This applies to washing hair, brushing teeth, bathing, and etc. Detoxification is a method of internal cleansing, and though the method of detox is highly overlooked by the medical system, it is crucial for the proper functioning of our overall body. The main organs involved with detoxification are the liver, kidneys, lungs, intestines, and the lymphatic system.
Is it safe?
The idea of detoxification may vary from person to person. However, it is a safe process as long as the individual is incorporating daily dietary values into their consumptions. Detoxifications does not harm, but benefit one by cleansing internal organs. Doctors debate on whether detoxification is necessary, knowing the fact that the body has the ability to cleanse itself. Aiding the body to cleanse your system through detox lessens the workload of the body.
Why is it important?
Periodic detoxification of the body is not just important, but necessary for our health. With increasing urbanization, abundant amount of pollutants being released everyday in factories, statistics are rising on death rates from environmental pollutants. According to recent government funded annual reviews of public health:
-60,000 Americans die each year from air pollution
– 53 million Americans drink contaminated water
– 21,000 die from cancer causing pesticides
Pesticides, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, sprays, colors, and etc can be all found in the food we consume. Organics aren’t very safe either due to the fact that they can indirectly contaminate from the collision of groundwater, polluted rain, and such. Environmental toxins and chemicals are absorbed by our bodies from food or air. The chemicals begin to pile in the soft tissues and organs, leading to various health issues and diseases. Detoxification is not a method of treating diseases, but to help prevent it. Detox enables the body to function properly and get rid of toxins, which is why detox is a very important step to consider to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Methods of detoxification?
There are various ways to detoxify the body. There are many detox programs and recipes to help meet one’s needs. Simple home detoxifications can be done in a week to see results. Detox programs might require the body to go through detox for a week or more depending on the individual. It is important to look into various detox plans and the requirements because there are abundant amounts. Among the various types of cleanses, some of my favorites are:
-Simple fruit and vegetable detox
After following a full detox method, here are 5 personal tips on how I detoxify the body by incorporating a few changes in my lifestyle and diet:
- I cleanse and protect my liver by drinking a lot of green tea, which has great detox properties. The benefits of green tea are astonishing. In an article based on green tea, I explain some of its benefits.
- Exercising and sweating is an essential way to cleanse the body. Incorporating 30mins of exercise daily or at least 3 times a week can promote a healthy body.
- Take glutathione supplements or vitamin C, which can help the body to get rid of toxins.
- Avoid processed, fried, and fast foods. Here are some other foods that should be avoided
- Include plenty of fiber, fresh fruits, vegetables, and at least two quarts of water into your diet.
- Dry brush before the shower. Here is my article on the importance of dry brushing
Common symptoms of detoxification
- Diarrhea/Frequent Urination
- Aches, Pains, Arthritic Flare Ups
- Mood Swings
- Sinus Congestion
- Cold/Flu-like Symptoms
- Skin Eruptions-Rashes, Acne, Hive, Etc.
Who should detox and how often to detoxify the body?
It is important to detoxify the body when these symptoms occur:
- Unexplained fatigue
- Sluggish elimination
- Irritated skin
- Low-grade infections
- Puffy eye or bags under the eyes
- Menstrual problems
- Mental confusion
- Acne and breakouts
Detoxification of the body can be done every month or at least once or twice a year. I practice a three day juice, a 7 day detox or fasting every three months.
After finishing detoxification, the body feels light and full of energy. Be gentle with the body and maintain a healthy diet for a healthier life.