For the past 6 years, Korean Dramas have been the outlet for me to escape my stress. They have helped me release my burdens by giving me a good laugh or a mini heartbreak. Regardless of all the emotions given, I strongly recommend Korean dramas to any one. Just because they are in another language, it does mean that we can’t break the barrier and get past that. Thankfully there are English Subtitles. They are literally the life saver that allows me to watch a majority of the Korean dramas out there. And without further a do, I present 2016’s top Korean Dramas that are a must watch.
- Cheese in a Trap- Hong Seol (Kim Go Eun) isn’t the smartest or most privileged university student, but she is without a doubt hardworking and earnest. In contrast, Hong Seol’s senior, Yoo Jeong (Park Hae Jin), is a high achiever with the good looks, athleticism and grades to prove it — but he harbors a dark side. Even stranger, an unlikely alliance is forged between these two classmates from opposite sides of the track.
- Moorim School- Honesty, faith, sacrifice, communication. These are the virtues that are stressed over academic scores by the Moorim Institute, an alternative school with teachers and students from all over the world. Yoon Shi Woo (Lee Hyun Woo) is the leader of a top idol group and considered a musical genius. He is forced to enroll at Moorim after an unexpected fall from grace. Wang Chi Ang (Lee Hong Bin), the heir to the largest Chinese corporation and a troublemaker, becomes Shi Woo’s new roommate. Among their classmates are Shim Soon Duk (Seo Ye Ji), a hard-working girl who takes care of her blind father and attends Moorim without his knowledge, and Hwang Sun Ah (Jung Joo Jin), the school chancellor’s daughter who is a top student with a deep sense of fairness and justice.
- Madame Antoine- If you need help finding true love, you need to ask the right person. Go HyeRim (Han Ye Seul) is a famous fortuneteller who helps people find true love. Using the name “Madame Antoine,” Hye Rim uses her keen intellect and heightened senses to assess the clients she sees to find just the right mates for them. Although Hye Rim uses some lies and exaggerations to sell her image, she believes in romantic love and dreams of finding her own true love some day.Coincidentally, Hye Rim agrees to take part in a psychological test project conducted by psychotherapist Choi Soo Hyun (Sung Joon), whose goal is to prove that there is no such thing as true love. The name of his psychological treatment center happens to be Madame Antoine. Will Hye Rim be able to convince the skeptical Soo Hyun that true love does exist?
- One More Happy Ending- What if true happiness comes only after you’ve gone around the block a few times? Han Mi Mo (Jang Nara) and Baek Da Jung (Yoo Da In) were members of a former girl group known as Angels. They now run a remarriage consulting company that gives divorced people a second chance at love. Mi Mo is divorced while Da Jung is in a troubled marriage to a rich man. Former band mate Go Dong Mi (Yoo In Na) is now an elementary school teacher while Hong Ae Ran (Seo In Young) works for an Internet shopping mall. When the four friends all become entangled with Song Soo Hyuk (Jung Kyung Ho), an entertainment reporter and single father, and his friend, Goo Hae Joon (Kwon Yool), will they get a second chance at love?
- Remember- When a man is framed for a murder, it changes the course of his son’s life forever. Seo Jae Hyuk (Jun Kwang Ryul) is convicted of a murder that he did not commit. His son, Seo Jin Woo (Yoo Seung Ho), watches helplessly as his father is sent to prison and put on death row. Using his super memory (a condition known as hyperthymesia that allows him to recall every detail of his life), Jin Woo becomes a lawyer so that he can someday prove his father’s innocence.He reconnects with Lee In Ah (Park Min Young), a childhood classmate who is now a young prosecutor, and she is determined to help Jin Woo. But things get complicated when Jae Hyuk develops Alzheimer’s disease and begins to think he actually committed the murder, and then Jin Woo starts to exhibit symptoms of Alzheimer’s as well. Can Jin Woo beat the clock and save his father before his memories fail him?
- Oh My Venus- Kim Young-ho is a personal trainer to Hollywood stars. Despite his family’s wealth, Young-ho suffered a devastating injury in his childhood. But he believes any problem can be overcome by patience and determination.Kang Joo-eun was once an “ulzzang” in her teens, semi-famous for her pretty face and enviable figure. Now a 33-year-old lawyer, she’s gained a lot of weight since. After getting dumped by her boyfriend and being told by her doctor that she has health issues, Joo-eun hires Young-ho to challenge her to diet and lose weight. As they work on her physical transformation, they heal each other’s emotional wounds and fall in love.
There are many more Korean Dramas out there but these are just some of the top Korean dramas that have aired earlier this year. Many more Korean dramas are being produced and will air as soon as filming is done. Can’t wait to see what new dramas premiere. I strongly recommend the dramas in the list as I have watched them all.